Tuesday 28 October 2008

Midweek Restock

A new weekly theme, to be stored on these pages :
Re-visiting some of the old quotes that used to pepper my walls, cabinets, cupboards, drawers, notebooks, novels. Underlined, scribbed on my jeans (boredom, dentist's office, spare pen, don't ask), scrawled on enough post-its to keep 3M in business. I loved them, I used to navigate by them. Some of them jumped off the paper (or my jeans) and straight into my blood. They're not words anymore, they're ideas by which I live. Constantly tested, retested, recrafted. The only life worth living is the reflexive one. And now, after a long long slumber in the world of just living living living, I think it's time to stop looking out the window and into a mirror. And as someone or the other once said, the best mirror is an old friend.

Here are some of mine.

Every week, I will visit up to 5. And see if they still fit.
Some weeks, I will meet new ones.

Here goes, the first round:

1. Perspective: Use it or lose it. (Richard Bach)

2. Sadness is merely a wall between two gardens. (Khalil Gibran)

3. The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in suffering and injustice. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly. (Richard Bach).

4. Da molte stelle, mi vien questa luce. (Dante) (From many stars, this light comes to me.)

5. You only see the tree by the light of the lamp. I wonder when you will start seeing the lamp by the light of the tree. (Don't remember who by)

No comments: