Wednesday 21 March 2012

Questions to nobody in particular, which everyone should be able to answer


Who are you?
Why are you here?
What do you want?
Where are you going?

When I think about the essentials that I'd like to know, I think of these.
And I often wonder if I've missed a question, or even a whole way of defining what is important.

A few weeks ago someone on my Facebook said that they'd love to ask random strangers the most random questions - similar to the one's above - and especially on foreign soil.

I've had plenty of beautiful conversations with beautiful strangers but I've never initiated one by asking someone, out of the blue, what they most wanted out of life.
For no particular reason except to indulge my curiosity, I'd like to be able to do that enough to see patterns. Here's one that I think I might see: People who answer might be divided into three:
People who answer with the most truthful answer they know.
People who answer with a deflection: A giggle, a retort, another question (Who are you and why the fuck do you want to know springs to mind).
People who answer very fast, with the palm of their hand making sharp contact with your face.

I also hypothesize that the third group would be very small indeed.
People are so lonely, a random question like that might evoke a 3-hour narrative.

No comments: